New 2021 Toyota Corolla GR represents the sports version regular Corolla but only with hybrid powertrain. Its main advantages are comfortable cabin with a lot high-tech safety features and over 50 mpg fuel consumption.
The drive is 1.8 L Inline-4 front-engine and duo of electric motor/generators with total output of just 121 horses. Although the figures are not impressive, the fuel consumption is. Fantastic 54 mpg in the city and 50 mpg on the highway, in other words 52 mpg combined.
The new combination that would be a 2.0 L engine with a total output of 180 horses is shyly mentioned. With upgraded Nickel-Metal Hybride Battery Pack can be most fuel-efficient Corolla model ever.
- Electronically Controlled Planetary-Type CVT Transaxle
- Smart A/C System
- EV Mode For Short Distance All-Electric Driving
- MacPherson Struts In Front, Multi-Link Rear
- TNGA Platform Underneath The Skin
- Electronically Controlled Brake System
- “Pre-Load” Differential Operation
2021 Toyota Corolla GR Exterior
The GR design brought 18-inch black alloy wheels, various bumpers and new mesh grille. A rear view reveals a new bumper but designed to create the look of dual exhaust pipes and diffusers. Front overhang is 1.3 inches shorter, overall height is 0.8 inches lower, while front track is 0.47 inches wider. Also rear overhang is half an inch longer. However, the deign is quite competitive.
Toyota Safety Sense 2.0 as standard equipment include:
- Full-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control
- Lane Tracing Assist
- Pre-Collision System
- Road Sign Assist
- Backup Camera
- Automatic High Beams
- Electronic Vehicle Stability Control
- Brake Assist
- 8 airbags
- Smart Stop Technology
- Traction Control
2021 Toyota Corolla GR Interior
Hybrid offers same interior space as regular Corolla. Better to say more space on rear bench and a lot high-tech features.
Some cabin features:
- Entune 3.0 Infotainment As Standard
- 7.0-Inch Touchscreen As Standard
- Toyota Safety Sense 2.0 As Standard
- Unique Hybrid Readouts, Such As ECO Accelerator Guidance
- Armrest is nearly an inch longer
- Toyota’s Entune 3.0 Audio system
- Scout GPS Link Compatibility
- Apple CarPlay
- Android Auto
- Siri Eyes Free
- voice recognition and hands-free control
- USB 2.0 support
- weather plus traffic info
Release Date and Price
Japanese companies introduced the basic version this year in Geneva. You can order yours 2021 Toyota Corolla GR just now. But the first deliveries should start in 2020, the first in Europe.
So far, we have no confirmation or denial that it will not be sold to the US market, but I’m pretty sure it will happen sooner or later. Price is still unknown. For instance competition Honda Insight and Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid suggest it should be between $22,000 and $25,000.